The A-List for 3/16/12
Hey there Friends! Did you miss us?
Last week, we single-handely were able to drive an additional 8 people to the Des Moines Art Center’s Black Maria Film Festival. We take lots of pride in saying that instead of 56 people at their show, a singer/songwriter at the Gaslamp had 60 people show up. See the power of the A-List? I bet we even got a few people a couple weeks back to go to the Iowa Deer Show. We’re THAT much of a driver of popular culture. The A-List is catching on folks, and it’s the Des Moines Metro’s fastest growing blogging sensation. Not really, but we know 10 of you read it and hopefully this gives you some going-out ideas.
So here goes: The A-List for 3/16/12
1. Iowa Energy vs Canton: Friday, March 16, 7pm. It’s the NBA Developmental League. Come on… Des Moines basically has an NBA team… sorta, but it’s great fun and family friendly. Website: http://www.nba.com/dleague/iowa
2. Iowa Flower, Lawn and Garden Show. Friday Mar 16 – Sunday Mar 18, Fri 1 – 8 p.m.; Sat 10 – 7 p.m.; Sun 11 – 4 p.m. Because it’s SPRING, that’s why! Over 300 booths of flowers for sale and great ideas for your lawn and garden including landscaping, decks, fencing, spas, sunrooms, walkways, trees, plants, herbs and much more! Featuring Celebrity Landscaper and Host of HGTV and DIY Network’s hit show “Yard Crashers – Ahmed Hassan!” Seminars with Gardening Expert Jerry Kluver! The Great Des Moines Flower sale in the 50′ x 50′ Hy-Vee Garden Helpers booth! Free antique appraising all weekend! Admission: Adults $6.95; Seniors $5.95; 12 & Under Free. http://www.IowaFlowerShow.com
3. ST. PATRICK’S DAY. Our first choice is eating breakfast/brunch/lunch at Americana. Our bar opens at 9 when you can sip on a few deals on Jameson/Guinness and Baileys. We’ll also have our regularly spectacular Bombshell Brunch starting at 10, plus a few Irish eating goodies. Reservations are recommended… Then check out the parade, which goes from the East Village over to the Marriott at NOON… After you eat brunch and watch people in the parade, head over to hang out with our buds at the Gaslamp. They’re celebrating as they call it, “St. Pabst Day,” with live music all day from Horror Business; American Idiots; Boom Chick; Black Box Revelation; DJ Richie Daggers; Bop Skizzum; Liptstick Homicide; Strangefellows; No Good Deed & Rebel Creek! $20 gets you in & all you can drink. Join us on St. Patrick’s Day & sport your irish colors. For more information: www.gaslampdsm.com.
4. Jim Gaffigan, Sunday March 18, 2012, 7 p.m., the Civic Center of Greater Des Moines. He’s a funny dude. Come eat dinner or get drinks and tapas with us before the show.
5. TACOPOCALYPSE. Usually Tuesdays and often other days. I’m not going to sit here and explain to you the awesomeness that Chef Sam Auen has created with his tacos. Just follow him along on Facebook and promise that one day you’ll do this. Usually, he’s at Cumming Tap in Cumming starting at 3pm-ish and going to Who-knows-when-ish. Here’s his website and you should probably like his page on Facebook. Just do it.
6. Bridge Club for Beginners. Wednesday Mar 21, 2012, 6 – 8 p.m., Meeting Room Wing at the Central Library. Come on. It’s bridge. You’re going to need to learn how to play someday.
If we missed something, let us know in the comments of our Facebook post on this subject. Cheers!